Monday, February 7, 2011

Buttermilk Pie



Okay so have you ever heard of a buttermilk pie? Well I will tell you it is the best of both worlds. It is like a custard pie without to much egg and it is rich evil deliciousness. I ate my first buttermilk pie when I was about 12. My mother went on a pie kick and this pie was a long time favorite of mine. The first one I made about 18 years ago did not set up and I stayed mad at it for about 18 years.
On my last trip to Little Rock my mother handed over the family recipes and I found this pie. 
So I decided I would make it again problem is my mother left a few things off of the recipe list and I just about had a heart attack! One was the buttermilk and the other was the flour. But we fixed that and here it is. 



2 cups sugar
3 eggs slightly beaten
4 tablespoons four
1 cup buttermilk
1 stick of butter
1 and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
One raw pie crust or if you like your favorite recipe of pie crust.

Method:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
You will need one deep dish pie or two regular pie plates.

Step one: Cream sugar and butter and flour.
Step two: add eggs, vanilla mix, then add buttermilk. Mix until it comes together well.

Step three: Pour batter into pie crust.

Step Four: Bake for 5 minutes on 400 degrees

Step Five: reduce heat to 350 degree's and bake for 35 minutes or until a knife comes out almost clean and it does not jiggle much.

Serve warm or cool. If serving warm ice cream may be good with this pie. 
Happy Pie Baking!

No comments: